Monday, September 20, 2010

My heart is still tartan


I have a confession to make.




I'm a Rollermaniac.



Eric, Derek, Woody, Les, and Alan


If you were a teenage girl (or the parent of one) in the mid-seventies, you probably knew who the Bay City Rollers were.
S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night!

Yes, I made a pair of the short pants trimmed with plaid, which I wore with my BCR t-shirt, striped socks, high top tennis shoes, my tartan scarf, and suspenders covered with Roller pins.  I'm sure my mom must have laughed (loudly) when I went out dressed like that!

I saw them in concert in Seattle on August 8, 1977.  My friends and I, along with about 3,000 others, spent the entire concert perched on the arms of the seats, jumping up and down and screaming our lungs out.


Les in the late '70s


Well, I'm breaking out the tartan again.  No, I won't be wearing the above-mentioned outfit (the only part of it that would still fit is my scarf)... but in the words of a Nick Lowe song...

"Gonna see the Rollers, got a ticket for the Bay City Rollers..."

Next S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y night, I'm meeting up with the gal who was next to me all those years ago, balancing on the armrests, and we're heading to Portland, OR to see Les McKeown!


Les today


I feel like I'm 15 years old again.  Kind of.

And to my fellow Rollermaniacs out there- "Keep On Rolling!"

No comments: