Monday, December 6, 2010

The Tale of the Pink Christmas Tree


It's the first week of December, and I haven't done any holiday decorating yet.  Granted, last week was a bit busy, and I'm not one of those who start before Thanksgiving.


When I was a child, we had one of these aluminum trees...


With the color wheel, of course!

We used it for several years.  There was one Christmas that Mom decided it took up too much room, so she only put half of the branches on, and pushed it against the wall.

After that, we had real trees for a while, with an occasional flocked one.  I remember a few in particular...the one my dad picked out that was bald in back- it went in the corner that year.  Another was so dry that it was shedding needles as we tried to decorate it.  And then there was the year we had a live tree...it dripped sap over the presents, the tree skirt and the carpet.  The tree skirt, unfortunately, didn't make it.

When I was a teenager, my mom bought an artificial tree.  It had branches that you had to put in individually.  It was flocked, and shed more snow every year.  Eventually, she replaced it, and my family used it for a few years.  It finally died when my cat decided to climb it and broke two of the branches.

A few years ago, I finally bought a pre-lit tree.  Before that, I think my husband and I fought every year trying to get the lights on!

And here begins the tale of the pink tree...

First, you have to understand something.  My family is always excited to put up the tree.  But when it comes to doing it, this is what happens: my husband sets it up.  He's done.  The kids disappear.  And I decorate the tree.  Just moi.  Alone.  I don't know why that happens, but it does.

So, a couple of years ago, I figured that, since I was the one decorating the tree, that I could decide how to decorate it.  I decided to do a "shabby chic" type tree.  I didn't use all of the ornaments we had, just the ones that fit the theme or were special.  I made bows with pink ribbon and cream tulle.  It turned out beautiful.

You know what's coming, don't you?

I got complaining all December.  It was too pink.  Too girly.  Too much of a "Mom" tree.

The next year, when the tree was set up, I told my family that since they complained so much last year, that they could decorate the tree themselves.  This was the first part of December.  A week before Christmas... NO ORNAMENTS!  I finally bribed my youngest into putting some ornaments on.  It did prove my point that I'm the one who decorates the tree.

Since then,  I've compromised.  I still decorate the tree by myself, and pick what ornaments I want to use, but I don't use the pink bows anymore.  But I'm thinking that when my current tree needs to be replaced, I should pick this one...



(Insert evil laugh here)



2 comments:

Johanna said...

Hello Sue,
I love your story about the pink Christmas tree. It is always the same, I think. It is so much easier to complain than to decorate a tree. We always discuss which ornaments should hang where and how many ornaments are to use and so on. One year I decided in a white tree, just white flocked ornaments and clear glass. Some little birds inside and it looked like a frosted snowy tree, right from the forest into the hall. Was very nice but the family loves more red and green and so we have since ages always the same decoration. But it is less stress to do so. I wish you a wonderfull Christmas time and I am sure you will make a pretty tree again.
Greetings, Johanna

Willow said...

Now my Granddaughter would love to have a pink tree. She is just crazy for pink.

Willow