Sunday, January 23, 2011

When people aren't who you think


***WARNING-- RANT FOLLOWS!!!  READ AT YOUR OWN RISK***


Have you ever had this experience?  You think you know someone, and then, they do something totally out of character.  So it seems.  Unfortunately, you find out that it IS their character.

Sadly, I'm seeing this where it never should happen...my church.

Our pastor recently submitted his resignation, and things have gotten ugly.  I believe that most of the problems stem from the fact that the pastor's wife openly played favorites.  Her exclusive group has been in charge of most of the women's ministries for a while, pushing out people who were involved for years.  The "favorites" have hurt some people deeply, causing some families to leave the church.  One of the families is that of my best friend.

This is hard for me.  The pastor has been very supportive of me through my daughter's illness.  But I've seen this favoritism going on for a long time.  I've seen issues that were dealt with badly.  There were rumors that were allowed to go unchecked with no apologies.  People were treated in a condescending manner because they were not the "in crowd".  Good grief, people!  This isn't high school!!!

I am friends with several of the people who have been hurt by all of this.  I may end up on the bad side of the "favorites"  because of that.  If that happens, so be it.  I actually feel sorry for them... they will have to answer for it someday.  And I really have much more important things to worry about than whether of not I'm liked by a group of troublemakers.

I feel that the pastors' resignation is the best thing.  We will have the same interim pastor that we had during the last transition, and I truly believe that he has the gift of reconciliation.  Boy, do we need it.

If you're still reading, thank you for letting me share this.

1 comment:

Johanna said...

Hello Sue,
that sounds terrible. I hope everything will get better when the interim pastor comes. It is sad, that some people talk from God but didn't act like they should.
Best greetings, Johanna