Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ocean Shores



My husband and I went to the ocean for our 25th anniversary.  (It was actually on May 31, but we didn't want to go on Memorial Day weekend.)  Unfortunately, I forgot my camera, and my husband's broke while we were there!  So all of these pics are from the internet.

 (1960-70's era postcard)

When I was growing up, my family went to Ocean Shores every year.  My step-grandparents owned several lots there, and we would stay in one of the beach houses.  Even now I get a little excited when I see the gate.  Back then, it was a tiny beach town, with a few hotels on the beach.  It's much more built up now. Our activities then, other than the beach, were bowling, mini golf and (my favorite), the go-kart track.  The bowling alley and go-karts are still there, but the mini golf course is long gone.  Now there are a lot more shops, including this one...

(Sharky's Gift Shop)
We lucked out.  The weather was beautiful all weekend.  Maybe a little too beautiful, as I ended up with a really bad sunburn.  (I know, I know...SUNBLOCK!!!)  The beach was beautiful.  I'm content just to sit on a log and watch the waves.  We tried to drive on the beach to watch the sunset (yes, it's permitted), and managed to get stuck in the sand and had to be towed out!  So much for that idea....
(North Jetty)

The ocean always brings back a lot of memories, especially of my mom.  She loved the ocean, especially Seaside and Cannon Beach on the Oregon coast.  I have so many great memories of our vacations here.


(SS Catala)

I have to include this in my Ocean Shores memories, even though it's no longer there. This shipwreck was in the marina, and at low tide we would walk out to it, and run and climb all over it.  As you can imagine, it was vandalized and got to be dangerous over the years, and most of it was removed.  A few years ago, what remained of the hull was uncovered by storms, and it was found to be leaking oil.  The rest of it was dug up and removed.

All in all, we had a great, relaxing weekend.  Now back to real life...



No comments: